Saturday, April 7, 2018

Vacation Time! Cheap Flights


Hello, everyone. Summer break is coming up for you students and some of you guys are probably planning a trip or trips to go on during break. Well, for me, rather than a vacation, I have a rotation in South Korea so I will be going there this summer.

I actively started looking for a plane ticket 3 weeks ago although the rotation dates were decided a long time ago. My mom has been bothering me about this for awhile but I didn't buy the tickets until today. There are two reasons for this.

First, I am lazy, haha. I'm lazy, especially concerning things that my parents bother me about. It's just something about parents, when my parents tell me to do something, then I don't wanna do it. They have gotten better about bothering me and trust me to do my own thing as I got older, but they still worry.

Second, I learned that flights are at their cheapest 3 months before your flight date. I was planning to leave either in May or June so I waited until last month to search for my tickets.

While I was looking for my tickets, I selected certain days out of the week to book my flights. This is another thing I learned from a Business Insider video on how to get cheap flights. I selected Wednesday for departing and Friday for returning. Usually, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the cheapest days to get plane tickets. The next are Thursdays and Saturdays. I had to choose Friday for my return date because I had no choice. I also found an article which talks about what dates are the cheapest to fly on (this article also has extra information).

Another thing I did for finding cheap plane tickets was to use Google flights. This is actually really neat. It makes my search so simple yet effective. You search for a flight and a really cool function they have is "track prices". If you were looking at certain flight tickets and want to keep an eye on the price, you simply click on "track prices" and they automatically send you an e-mail every time there is a price change. Actually, when I decided to purchase my tickets, the price went up by $300 right after I had logged in a few days prior. So I went to my e-mail and checked how price changes had been, and I knew that they would lower the price in a few days (I was right, luckily). I kept checking my e-mails and when I saw that there was a price change, I went ahead and purchased my tickets. I saved $300, thanks to Google flights.

Although this does not apply to me yet since I haven't accumulated enough mileage points, I highly recommend that you guys try to use one airline for rewards. Or you can use multiple airlines, but make sure that they are partners so you can use your rewards points. I had to fly long flights ever since I was young and my parents would always look for the cheapest prices instead of saving my miles by sticking with one airline or its partner airlines (I would have so many points saved up if it wasn't for this). So please be smart!

Anyways, hope you guys are excited to plan fun trips over the summer. Although I'm traveling to do some schoolwork, I'm grateful that I will have an opportunity to travel to South Korea. Cheers!

E-mail: bchoisg1@gmail.com
Youtube: BreezyChoice
Instagram: breezychoice1

No comments:

Post a Comment