Monday, May 14, 2018

Celebrating with Little Money

Graduations, birthdays, engagement parties, weddings, anniversary, etc. You name it. We have so many things to celebrate in life (why not, because we all deserve to celebrate our lives) and it is not cheap to do so. Especially, as a grad student, it gets overwhelming since I'm not making any money as some of my friends are.

So here are things I've learned to do along the way to celebrate things while not overspending.

1. Party at home. If you are the one who is being celebrated, have a party at your own place. I had a whitecoat ceremony and usually parents or family pay for a meal afterwards. Since I had no family at this ceremony, I felt pressured to treat my friends out to lunch. However, they all knew that I have a tight budget so they were nice enough to pay for their own meals. For my graduation, I would like to plan a party at my place so I can treat my friends. If it is too much to prepare all the food by yourself, then ask your friends to bring a food item, like in a potluck.

2. Limit your alcohol consumption. I don't usually drink but I did recently because I wanted to celebrate for myself and for others. And it adds up quickly. I took advantage of happy hour but it still was a bit pricy for me. So what I am going to do from now on is to limit myself to one drink per week whenever I go out (which means a lot of pre-gaming).

3. Buying a gift with your friends. Gifts can be expensive and when you want to buy a nice gift, it gets overwhelming to pay for it by yourself (at least for me). So many times, I try to ask a friend if he or she wants to buy a gift together. It is going to be a nicer gift than what I can afford by myself with less money. So the next time you buy something, ask a friend and buy a gift together!

4. Be honest. If you are struggling and can't afford to do something, then be honest. There are many times when my friend and I skipped Christmas presents because we were both too broke or one of us was too poor. If your friend gets upset at the fact that you have to buckle down and cut some expenses, then it may be a good time to re-evaluate your relationship with them.

So, how's everyone celebrating? I hope you guys are celebrating on a budget so we can reach our goals. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment