Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Moving with Little Money

School's over and the moving season has officially started for those in college/universities/etc. I was lucky enough to not have to move for the past 3 years but now my time's up. I will be out of the country before my lease ends so I am in the process of moving my stuff into my friend's apartment.

Here are a few things I am doing to save money on moving:
1. Figure out your moving car situation. If you own a truck/minivan, that's amazing. Borrow your friend's car and move your stuff and treat your friend out. Or, if you have a friend who is also moving, then you guys can rent a truck together and split the cost. Even if it's only $20 to rent a u-haul, once you add up all the miles, insurance, and gas, they add up. So consider asking a friend before you move.

2. Boxes. I know it sounds very weird, but I usually ask retail stores for boxes. I used to work at one, so I know that they have many boxes stacked up somewhere waiting to be thrown out. Another trick I do is to cut amazon shipping boxes cleanly and save them in storage so that I can use them in the future. Also, don't throw away your boxes just because you're done moving, because from my experience of frequent moving, you will regret throwing them away. This is good for both the environment and your wallet.

3. Lock up your car/truck/minivan. I have heard of my friends' getting stolen when they left the truck open. Now if you are in a good neighborhood, this will not be a problem but if you are not, then it would be best to secure the car.

Another piece of advice I have: if you have the option, move things slowly. This does not particularly help with the financial aspect of moving, but this will definitely save you energy and make the moving process easier. Since I am not limited to a timeline, I am moving all of my stuff over a week so I can do little by little and not get burnt out in the desert.

Well, once I'm done with moving and start apartment hunting, I will update posts on moving and apartment hunting. If you are moving, hope you guys don't sweat too much. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment